Solstice PF is a sustainable replacement for current solvents, including nPB, HCFC-225, HFC-4310mee, HFC-365mfc and HFE-7100. It balances cleaning performance with safety and environmental requirements:
- VOC-exempt as determined by the U.S. EPA
- Global warming potential (GWP) of 1*
- Negligible ozone depletion
- Occupational Exposure Limit (OEL) of 800 ppm established by WEEL
- Listed under the Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) as a suitable replacement in solvent applications
Due to regulatory pressure, the use of many solvents has been limited or eliminated. Users of industrial solvents are faced with finding a balance between effective cleaning and minimal environmental impact when seeking an alternative to HCFC-225.
Solstice PF is a fluorinated solvent that has been shown to have negligible ozone depletion and a GWP of 1, while not contributing to smog formation. If it is adopted across industries, its usage could save about 18 million metric tons per year of CO2 equivalent emissions.
*Source: 2013: Anthropogenic and Natural Radiative Forcing. In: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change